LSR (Lothian Ski Racing) is a race club and you are strongly encouraged to participate in some form of racing throughout the year. LSR organises three races a year at Hillend that are open to all skiers from all over the country and beyond. Twin Peaks (June), Craig Macfie (October) and Bairns and Lassies (November). There are a number of other races throughout the year on Artificial slopes, Indoor Snow and Alpine races in Scotland and abroad. Races are fun and it is what you have been training for so please make sure you enter some races over the year.
Races fall into two categories:
- Mini/Bairns Races U12 category and below which is competed over a “stubbie” course and is a non-seeded race.
- Seeded race that is for competitors in the U14 and older categories. One of the aims of ski racing in seeded races is to improve – ie lower – your seed points. This gives you a direct comparison vs other racers in your age category. It also gives you a better start in races if you are in the top 15 for your age group.
Details of all races, including Entry Forms, can be found at http://www.gbski.com/
It is important to familiarise yourself with this website as you will refer to it many times!
Also keep up to date with Scottish Schools races at http://www.sssa.co
Find out who organises the ski teams at your school and make sure they have your name!
LSR organise various races at Hillend over the course of the year. Three races are open to all skiers from all over the country and another is our Club Championships that is held only for LSR racers.
The three open races are:
Twin Peaks- This is a slalom race in June that is run over two days- Saturday at Firpark and Sunday at Hillend. For this race we use both slopes with U10/12s racing on the Tow slope and U14 and above from the top on the main slope. Both races are extremely popular however, it not necessary to enter both days. In 2018 the Hillend race will be part of the British artificial Outdoor Series.
Craig Macfie- This a seeded race in October and is usually a slalom. This race will be on the main slope with all competitors racing from top of the main slope. The U10/12s race is not seeded and they will consist of two consecutive runs on a stubbies course in between the 1st and 2nd seeded races. This is again a very popular race but as we only use the main slope numbers are limited so book early!
Bairns and Lassies- This is our only open non-seeded race and takes place in November. It is open for U8-U16 age groups. This is a good race for new racers to enter. It is all on the main slope with Minis racing in-between the 1st and 2nd runs of the older age group categories. The format is 2 runs of a Pro Slalom format course i.e. a cross between a GS course and a Slalom course.
Club Championships- We hold this in June at the end of term. We use both slopes with minis on the Tow slope and U14 and above on the main slope.
– Dry slope races further afield, eg Gloucester, Pontypool.
– Blues have a race at Hillend every year and this is a great race to start for young novice ski racers.
– Artificial snow / indoor slopes such as Braehead, Castleford
– Snow races in Scotland at one of the 6 Scottish resorts; ie Cairngorm, The Lecht, Nevis Range, Glenshee, Glencoe, Lowther Hills.
– Snow races abroad at any of the National Championships:-
Anglo Scottish – January – Italy
English Champs – February – Bormio, Italy
British Champs – Easter – Tignes